Tuesday 20 December 2016

2016-12-20, Living with Samsung Gear S3-model selection, unboxing, and first impression

I have always been a massive smart watch fun and have owned the original pebble, Moto 360 Gen I, and Sony Smart watch 2. 

I still own Moto 360 Gen II and Garmin forerunner 235 and wear them on separate occasions. 

The Moto is my day to day driver as it looks like a normal watch and doesn’t make me look like a geek, although I am undoubtedly the biggest geek in my social circle. However, I can’t really use it for sports as it lacks GPS and the battery life is rather short. I use Garmin for sports activities, mainly running, hiking and biking, with it fast GPS, good sports tracking function and long battery life but its styling means I can’t wear to work or dinner parties. 

Samsung gear S3 come into play as the perfect combination of the two. I have always been using Android wear due to the number of apps available. However, the current version of android wear on my moto left a lot to be desired and based on the reviews, Tizen has really grown over the years. Most importantly, the 4-5 day battery life is immensely impressive, my Moto’s can barely last for 1 day. In addition, built-in GPS (and the array of sensors) for sports tracking, ingenious rotating bezel, off-line music play, the beautiful AMOLED display, all make the gear S3 an ultimate smartwatch. 

There are two versions of Gear S3, the more rugged Frontier for outdoor types and the Classic, which aims to be the more luxurious option of the two. Underneath, the two versions are exactly the same. Both are made of stainless steel, both are IP68 certified water resistant (which means you can submerge it in water of up to 1.5 metres for up to 30 minutes. You can't use it for swimming or diving though). Apple watch wins here. Both have the same internals(there is a LTE enabled Frontier version but I don't think you can buy it in UK), same sensors and both run Samsung's Tizen OS.

Unboxing video:



As I am no where near a sports enthusiastic and love the minimal look of the Classic, it's the one I prefer and I think I made the right choice when I received it.




The watch is big, it's a lot bigger than my Moto GII but the bigger size means a bigger screen that can fit in more content. I am 170cm and of average build. 

The bezel has grooves on its outer perimeter that makes it easier to rotate the bezel. Rotating the bezel gives a satisfying click but I wish the bezel was a bit thicker as it's not that easy to grip. 



The S3 comes with a large leather band with a small one in the box. The bands are standard 22mm watchbands and is very easy to change.


Wireless charging makes the S3 a perfect desk clock. The charging cable is rather short but it's standard micro USB so can be replaced.














No comments:

Post a Comment